Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Orange Is the New Black Season 4 review

I finished season 4 in two days as I is appropriate and it completely destroyed me, it was an emotional roller coaster as always. It's funny how the series gets you to root for all the characters, excluding some goddamn assholes like Piscatella. Even if the inmates are not friends with each other, they make you sympathize every single one of them.

When you think about it, not a lot happens in each episode but still at the end of the season we are at a totally different place than at the beginning of the season. A lot of characters got their first flashbacks but the new characters didn't become very significant, the focus was firmly on the old characters.

Now I'll get into more spoilery stuff, so if you have not watched the season yet, stop reading now! SPOILERS AHEAD!

The first part of the season was lighter and funnier with Piper's gangsta with an A act and Poussey being a huge Judy King fan. Red and the other lady dealing with Lolly and the body is sometimes hilarious to watch, though Lolly is essentially a sad character, like Crazy Eyes, who by the way had the most heart-wrenching flashback of the season. She never meant anything bad to happen and due to a misunderstanding and an accident she apparently ended up in prison.

When they showed Nicky for the first time I yelped out loud and punched my fist in the air. Red hugging Nicky warmed my heart deeply. I was glad Nicky got her mess sorted out though she shouldn't have gotten into that in the first place.

I enjoy the prison being one big community more than a battlefield of different gangs so that took a little of the enchantment away. They should be united against the guards and demand their rights, not quarrel with each other.

I don't know if I'm glad for Pennsatucky that she made up with Coates or if I hoped she would never forgive him. He apologizing was the very least I expected and the scene was excellent. After season 1 I couldn't stand Pennsatucky but season 3 got me on her side and now I wish nothing but happiness for her.

Lolly's backstory was at the same time great and sad. It didn't clarify whether she was right or a bit looney already but both options got her where she ended up. The flashback actor was phenomenal portraiting Lolly before prison (no, that wasn't the same actor!) but still keeping the character true. Lolly's time machine and relationship with Healy gave me all the feels, and though she belongs to psych she deserves better.

Red is still my favorite character. She is the funniest but at the same time the most badass of all. She will not bend but she is a fierce mother of her prison family and takes care of her own, even if they do dumb things. Vee never had a chance at beating her.

Now finally, let's talk about the last two episodes. I did not see that coming, not at all. Poussey's romance with Soso was so fresh and it was cut so suddenly. Poussey was the small sun shining everywhere she went, I couldn't believe she was dying when she did. If it were caused by anyone else I would have been so angry, but because it was Bailey I just felt deep, deep sorrow. Bailey didn't mean anything like that to happen and I feel so bad for him, too. His life is almost as ruined as Poussey's, I don't know how he can go on, he's still just a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment