Sunday, July 3, 2016

June Wrap Up

I read some awesome books during June, one book less than in May because I began my summer job so I have less time to read now. Still four books total which is pretty good, considering I was abroad and used two days to watch the new season of Orange is the New Black.

The first book I read was Cinder by Marissa Meyer, the first book in the Lunar Chronicles. I had heard a lot about this series but nowhere had I gotten the right picture. Basically this is a fairytale retelling but there is no princess action at all. Instead, Cinder is a cyborg and the best mechanic in a future Asian Commonwelth society. One day prince Kaito shows up to her booth and asks her to fix his droid which contains essential information about Lunars, people living on the Moon. This premise is one of the best I have read for a while and I enjoyed the book right from the start till the end, though I guessed some things right I did not see other things coming. Characters were really real and I liked them all, can't wait to continue to the next book.

Then I read the Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, also know as Auntie Row, the second book in the Cormoran Strike series. Here Robin and Cormoran get a new case and we get to know them more. The book kept you guessing the murderer till the last pages and during the investigation we get to know more about Robin and Cormoran. I like their dynamic but I hope Rowling doesn't make them a pair, they work so much better as just colleagues.

After that I got my hands on to the Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas, a prequel to the Throne of Glass series. This is another series I've heard so much about and wanted to read as soon as possible, though I must say at least based on this book the Lunar Chronicles are ahead. Still, this book managed to crush me and ended with a huge cliffhanger. After I finish the Lunar Chronicles I'll start with this series.

Last book I read is The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, the second book in the Raven Cycle. This kind of felt little sidetracked from the greater story that began in Raven Boys, though cliffhanger game was strong in this also. The characters went ways I didn't necessarily like so much and definitely didn't hope for. Getting to know Ronan better was interesting but it wasn't enough. Despite that Stiefvater's writing keeps being awesome and beautiful and poetic and I enjoyed the book nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment