Monday, May 30, 2016

Captain America: the First Avenger movie review

I know I'm a bit late for this party but I saw the first Captain America movie on Saturday and thought I'd share my thoughts. I have never been a big superhero fan, I've only seen the Tobey Maguire Spiderman trilogy, the Dark Knight and the first Thor movie and thought they were OK, not great. Althought now that I think about it, I watch Arrow and the Flash and enjoy them quite a bit, but that's it.

The only interesting factor that made me actually want to watch Captain America is that Sebastian Stan is one of the actors in it. I love Sebastian Stan, too bad he never stays long in any of my favorite series (how awesome is Jefferson in Once Upon a Time?) I was a bit disappointed at how small his role was after all, the movie would have been so much better if he had more screen time.

The beginning was promising though; I liked Skinny Steve a lot and I hate when "weak" characters suddenly get huge muscles and perfect abs. It gives so wrong image to people. Also all the USA propaganda makes me cringe and I'm a bit tires to all these WW2 themed movies. There are other interesting eras and historic events, you know.

Funny thing about this movie was that the villains were the actors of Elrond and Thorin. That's basically the only good thing about the villains, they are very 2-dimensional and left me cold. I'm obviously not familiar with the Marvel universe but I can guess Hydra will come up in other Marvel movies.

The ending was quite sad, Steve waking up 70 years later in a hugely developed world. His love interest is probably long dead or at least very old at that point which was about the only thing that moved me in this movie (okay Sebastian Stan falling to his apparent death was a shock but I googled that he is in the next Captain America movie too, so he's not dead). Based on this movie I'm still not that fond of Marvel but if the other movies happen to pop up somewhere I might very well watch them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment