Monday, August 8, 2016

July Wrap Up

Pokémon Go was published in July and though I didn't mean to start playing it, seeing my brother play made me want to try also and then there was no coming back. Pokémon Go took a big chunk of my time I'd otherwise spend reading but despite that I managed to read five books.

The first two books I read were Blue Lily, Lily Blue and The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater. I wrote a whole series review about The Raven Cycle, so I'm just going to say here that I enjoyed the series but wasn't fully satisfied with it.

After finishing the Raven Cycle I read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. My interest for this book was sparked by Once Upon a Time which introduced Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as new characters in season finale. I wanted to be familiar with their original story before the new season premieres in September to fully appreciate the plot and easter eggs. The book itself was very short and quick read, though the construction of the book was very different from what I expected.

Then I got to the second book in my favorite new series the Lunar Chronicles, Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. Scarlet's character wasn't as good as Cinder but still the overall story keeped me very interested and excited and I surprisingly liked Thorne very much after his and Cinder's relationship stabilized. Wolf and Cinder went a bit too Twilight for my taste but other than that I enjoyed the book a great deal and am looking forward to getting into the third book.

The last book I had time to finish in July was The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum. Once Upon a Time was the reason to reading this, too, because the Wicked Witch of the West has been a character since season 3 so it's about time to get some insight on her. The book itself was a nice children story, though I kind of saw where it was going the whole time but it turned out a bit different than what I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment